When it comes to your health and fitness, there are a lot of choices that you make. Indeed, deciding to exercise to ensure better health is, in itself, a choice. So is planning to set up your gym at home. If you find going to the gym on your car quite a hassle, or if you don’t like to pay up for your monthly membership, you can instead invest on establishing a home gym. It is said that having a gym at the comfort of your own home helps you focus more on your workouts, which can help you achieve greater results and be able to reach your health and fitness goals.
As long as you have the extra space in your garage or an extra space in one of your rooms of your house, you can easily convert it to your own gym, complete with equipment that suits your needs. However, certain issues may arise when you plan your fitness area. For instance, you could become overwhelmed by the fact that you need to pick which you think is the best machine out of the numerous functional equipment being sold in your local sporting goods store. Of course, you can easily solve that problem by focusing on your budget and knowing the features that would help maximize the use of the said equipment.
When it comes to the equipment you need for your home gym, here are the essential items that you should have:
- One of the basic forms of exercise, doing cardio exercises aims to sustain constant movement in an effort to increase your heart rate and perspiration. When doing strength training, you start and end your session by doing aerobic exercises. By doing cardio training, you avoid the risk of diseases that may affect your heart and lungs, as well as improve your overall conditioning. You can purchase the best one out of the many functional equipment, stationary bikes, or elliptical trainers you see at the retailer, or just go cheap by having just a jump rope or a simple step block.
- Losing weight may still be possible by just doing cardio training, but for better results, you might as well take advantage of weight training, also known as strength training, it is an exercise routine that focuses on building muscle mass for weight loss and for shaping or maintaining your physique. You can purchase gym equipment complete with barbells and weights, and a training bench. However, if you are not keen on those because of space, then you can instead go for resistance bands and free weights.
- Whenever you do push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, or use dumbbells for your strength training, you may as well push yourself further by having an item or equipment that helps engage most of the muscle groups in your body and improve your balance in general. This is where a stability ball comes in handy. Alternately, you can get a foam pad, a wobble board, or a balance dome.
- In order for you to easily use the other equipment in your home gym, you may want to invest on an item or equipment that would help you in achieving flexible muscles. A Pilates machine, a stretch machine, or a foam roller is just one many pieces of equipment under such category.
- To better maximize your workouts and to reach the best results for your health and fitness goals, you may purchase a how-to DVD instructional video. Alternately, you can hire a personal trainer if you feel like having someone lend you a hand.
Truly, it is highly important that you consider these essentials when you establish your gym at home. Aside from the above mentioned, you also need to take into account the budget that you have, the available space that you have at home, the need to focus on the quality of the items you purchase and the need to test them out before taking them home.